What's for breakfast?




Just finished what is known as Chicken Feet with some mango sour for breakfast...it is tasty with the sour sauce. Here is a recipe for you to look up...no worries, it is not meat.
http://metemgee.com/tag/guyanese-chicken-foot/

Recap for the week in one word: emotional. I arrived at the school to co-teach on Thursday and no teacher co-teaching with me.  That is NOT uncommon in Guyana.  I was told absenteeism is high in the schools and it runs both ways; students AND teachers.  However, for some reason I thought I was in a little "Peace Corps Trainee" bubble.  Oh no,  just jump in and manage the classroom with 30 students.  Since the teacher had not shared her "scheme"...lesson plan with me, ever, I was clueless as to what to focus on.  The next door teacher (just over the 3/4 wall) came over and wrote the lessons on the board and I walked through the lessons with the group.  Of course, they struggled with my lack of projection and my accent.  They quickly learned that I need their attention.  During a choral reading session, I did not have the entire class attention and we restarted a story FIVE times before we managed to get through it (2 pages) all in unison!  I figure I need all the help I can get and the "above average" children will (hopefully) put pressure on the others to pay attention.  It is a start. Needless to say, I was EXHAUSTED at the end of the morning.  Luckily, it was a half day for both me and the students.  I went from shock to frustration and anger quickly moving into action because the kids deserved it.  However, I was not done processing the event and since I had the teacher's (known to PC staff as my counterpart) telephone number, I text messaged her.  I asked to set up an appointment over the weekend to get basics in order.  I wish I could have a copy of the schemes, but that seems to be impossible.  I hope the meeting comes through.  Those who know me know I do NOT function well when blindsided!

So, there was that.....shock, anger, frustration, humiliation and defeat.

That same afternoon many of the trainees took a side trip to a water park, albeit simple corkscrew slide, but entertaining and relaxing.  I opted out as I can not expose myself to the sun all that much.  Small doses even with sun screen.  I decided to have a home afternoon and found my host sister, Shantavia home with 3 friends.  We pulled out a card game and had a good time.  Later on in the evening I engaged both host sisters in Zumba! That was a good way to work out the frustration of the day.

Earlier in the week, the Education trainees took a trip back to Georgetown to visit NCERD (National Center for Education Research and Development).  We heard from many who work to improve the system.  It appears that there are some very passionate people there and they are grateful for Peace Corps' involvement. It was encouraging to hear them.  I was pretty astounded with the literacy statistics.  It seems that as long as the local school staff continues to speak outside the classroom in their local Creolese, they demonstrate the lack of regard for proper English. As one of the speakers at NCERD stated, English is the language of commerce and these children NEED it and need to realize the value.

So, there was that...a need, a mission and willingness.

Every Friday we have had a TEST KITCHEN.  We are given a riddle to identify a food item for us to include with our lunch.  Here is yesterday's:
"....When it's green the outside is green and the inside is whitish; when it's ripe the outside is green and the inside is whitish with small round seeds.  A good eat once it gets some heat." It is always interesting to see the variety of food that is brought in and yesterday was no different.  I enjoyed a nice OKRA STEW on rice.

I have to say that I was tickled when I arrived home yesterday.  I got out of the bus and there was Polly the family parrot in her cage flapping wildly and squealing, "PATTY, PATTY, PATTY!"

So, there was that.....happiness, excited to be welcomed home!

Comments

  1. You are doing amazingly well! Zumba after an exhausting directionless classroom of noise and heat... I'M impressed, if you aren't. So nice the parrot knows your name. I got to appreciate parrots living in Mexico--they can be very affectionate.... Hope you are getting some local hugs and loving missives from home. Keep up the excellent--A+ --blogging! And you might wanna let them know it's called "standard English"==there is no such thing as "Proper English." Standard English just happens to be the current global language and a must-know! Love you!==v

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side

August Contrasts