They warned us by the end of week 3 we would feel like saying "Aren't we done yet?"  It is true.  I can not believe that I have ONLY completed 3 weeks and not even half way through the training process.  I might clarify, in case you are not aware.  NOT EVERYONE is invited to swear in to be a volunteer.  Of course, we all hope to as does the staff.  Peace Corps has a rigorous and taxing entry for a reason.  They need folks that are RESILIENT.  Those who know me, I am quite sure will testify that is one of my main characteristics.  We have learned so much and now are practicing what we have learned.  It is mind blowing to think about the next few weeks.  However, I will do as I have since I arrived at Staging in Miami....look at one day at a time.  I have a nice bracelet reminded me to LIVE IN THE MOMENT.  (Thank you again Rachel!)

I know you would like to know what my world has been like for the last many days.  We celebrated Mother's Day here in Guyana, just as we do in the US.  Host Dad, Akilu made food ALL DAY.  It was amazing and humbling, really.  We are SO stinking spoiled in the U.S.  I watched him open, cut, cook, press a coconut for a rice "cookup" ...so delicious!  That in itself was tiring enough, but there was more.  He hooked up the grinder to the dining table and went to work on some fish and cooked yams for fish balls later served with his specialty, Mango Sour Sauce.  YUM! He introduced me to a local deer which was in a stew later in the week.  Needless to say, he made sure host mom had a day out of the kitchen!  The girls brought me a rose bouquet that I can keep forever.  So sweet for them to get ME a gift as well as their Mom.  Tuesday and Thursday found me at the Timerhi Primary School with Miss Melicia.  I worked with two students that she had me assess first with a testing procedure I had just learned.  I look forward to helping these two next week and beyond.  I hope I can see measurable difference when school closes.  I ate lunch with my counterpart, Miss Melicia on Thursday.  We both had brought curry from home....a popular dish here.  I could eat curry everyday here - there are so many ways to make it! I had no idea.... As a matter of fact, I had it again on Friday only it was made with a local squash.  We have a riddle each Friday to figure out the food topic.  That food topic needs to be prepared by us an brought to class to eat.  By the end of training, we should have enough recipes for a cook book that will help us for 2 years.  That Peace Corps staff is pretty clever, right?

The rainy season is starting show stronger signs.  We have had some very intense downpours while sitting in class.  However, the skies have been clearing up and we walk on solid, not muddy ground as we leave.  I am sure in weeks to come we will see longer rainy sessions during the day.  The wind can be fierce and since we are not in AC, the windows and doors are open.  May I say that it makes for a challenging time to give easel presentations??? 

I can see that my creativity is really going to be challenged when it comes to educational resources such as basic flash cards.  Teachers here use their cereal boxes and cardboard to make cards, signs and game sets.  If you thought I saved strange things before, you should see me now!  Every piece of cardboard and toilet paper rolls are being squirreled away! My duct tape is going to make a lovely word bank strip!

Last night (TGIF) I came straight home although I was wishing I could just go relax for a few hours.  Curfew for us while in training is 6PM.  Security is serious about this.  The "natives" in class are restless and we all are looking forward to not having that 6PM curfew in a few weeks. I ended up watching "Drumline" with the girls and enjoying a couple of local brews offered up by host Mom....many thanks, Molessa! I do love that movie and it was fun to watch with them.  Of course, schools in Guyana have no band and no competitions of that nature. 

Molessa and I took the bus to Georgetown today so that she could show me around the market.  Stabroek Market is huge and intimidating, as I may have mentioned before.  It is good I have a host with me and I did feel a bit more comfortable than last week with my PC friends.  She was the one getting the cat calls, so I just smiled..... We had a Church's Fried Chicken lunch and then headed home after getting plenty fresh veggies and fruits. Oh my, that trip home!  Those mini buses are crammed and this driver had to be going 85.  I think I know how the folks moving across the border from Mexico to AZ must feel. Oh, and speaking of cultural differences in transportation, it is nothing to see folks standing in the bed of a pick up as it travels down the highway.  Adults and children up for the ride....no tethering/belts...no problem.

Well, that pretty much sums up my week.  I think of my friends and family every day.  Sending love and hugs ~
Patty

Comments

  1. ♡ sounds like an awesome experience so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are staying busy...you needed to spend a week or two in Ms Shauna's class before you left! Tell me about the school schedule, how many more weeks will you be helping there? Do they have a summer break?

    Ok...hope all is well...I need to figure this out...Love you!!! Laurel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side

August Contrasts