I am nearing the end of week 2 training and feel pretty overwhelmed!  Our group met in Miami, FL for a day to get to know each other.  The next day we left the hotel on a bus about 11 AM and arrived at Miami airport for a 3:30 flight to Guyana.  Checking is was quite a process.  None of knew that our carry on baggage had a 22 pound limit.  Luckily, someone had a scale that was passed down the line so we could see if we would need to pay for over weight bags.  I had one bag weighing 17 and the other carry on was 21.9...close!  We changed planes in Trinidad and arrived in Guyana to a cheering group of Peace Corps staff and volunteers about 10:30PM.  Clearing customs was pretty fast and we were quickly set up at Splashmin's Resort...our home for the next 5 days.  We were treated like royalty...fed 3 square meals a day while we had lesson after lesson in a classroom setting.  We also had to pass a bicycle test as well as demonstrate our ability to float, oar and swim....in the river. 

This last Monday we left our PLUSH CORPS set up and headed out to meet our host families.  The staff made a game out of the experience and gave us pictures of animals to match with the families holding the same picture.  The meeting room was filled with excitement!  It was the moment we had all anticipated. 

I am with a host family that is so full of life.  The Afro-Guyanese family consists of a husband and wife along with 2 girls, 10 and 14.  Mom drives a taxi and works a DVD stand.  Dad delivers chickens.  Dad's Auntie lives in the front house and his grandfather is in a separate dwelling on the property as well. 

My training is fast and furious.  The staff is amazing and has so much to share with us!  I am already overwhelmed looking at the schedule for the next several weeks.  I scanned it once and then decided that I had better stick to reviewing one week at a time.  I have been mentally and emotionally exhausted at the end of the day since we left the refrigerated rooms at Splashmin's.  I will adapt, but the water was pouring out of me constantly the first couple of days without AC.  My showers are known as baths here with a simple pipe coming into an enclosure where the side walls do NOT meet the ceiling.  The water is a refreshing COOL and the colour (yes, British English) is rusty and needs to run for a while to clear.  I hope I can save the white blouse I washed in the shower with me!!

I am preparing to go to the classroom for the first time tomorrow.  I will observe a 5th grade. 

Stay tuned!

Comments

  1. Awesome to hear of your adventures Patty!!:) hugs from America!!
    Love, Shari in CO:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side

August Contrasts