A Final Farewell



A Final Farewell ~ With Love
Kristin was 26.  She had a spark, a giggle that was infectious. She was wonderful with children.  She loved the outdoors and was fearless.  She was smart and had earned her Master’s in Education Guidance and Counseling in 2012.  She was adventurous and took off hitchhiking across the US after earning her degree.  She brought that sense of adventure to Guyana with her.
I first took notice of Kristin at Splashmin’s Resort, the first lodging we, as a group had in Guyana upon arrival.  The first dawn, my new friend Michelle and I walked the grounds and spotted Kristin doing laps in the black water river.  She was strong and could outswim any one of us, I believe.  She took time during those first few days in country to teach a child how to swim….already making a difference!
During our training, I recall her coming to the school in Timehri where I getting my first dose of teaching in Guyana.  Two other trainees and I were working on a Literacy Faire that ended up taking place on a rainy day.  Kristin, along with a few other trainees not assigned to our school showed up to help.  She had great fun organizing a yard run during a brief break in the rain.
She had a rebellious streak….I told her once that we were cut out of the same cloth as she reminded me of myself at her age.  She flashed her beautiful white teeth and laughed hard.  We all remember her saying more than once, “What happens when you step outside your comfort zone?  It gets bigger.”
That was two years ago. 
Since becoming a volunteer, I have played a playlist of songs that remind me of her….nearly every Sunday. Frequently, I look at the children at school and get a flash of how Kristin would have loved them.  If only…..
Just before swearing in, Kristin had a change of heart for whatever reason.  She abruptly left us.  She went back to the US and soon took her life.  We have all been carrying her memory with us as we serve.  We were blessed to have been in her space, even if it was just a matter of weeks.  So, now that we will leave Guyana with our service complete, some gather back at Splashmin’s and bid her farewell.  Kristin, it is a bit ironic.  We will go, but we leave a bit of you in Guyana….it is said once you swim in black water, you never leave. 



Comments

  1. WOW! Beautiful Patty ~I am balling my eyes out~
    Kristin's mommy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side