No Sneaking Out...




Ceremoniously, as gracefully as possible, I accept the outpouring of appreciation and recognition of time well spent in little Sandvoort Village. Beginning mid-May with school children and teachers giving me a farewell.  Breathe….to say it is difficult to face is an understatement.  These children – 33 total students, have become my children.  We have relationships. THAT is what Peace Corps is about ~ building relationships.   I believe I did that well with the children and I hope I said or did one thing they can hold close to them.  I came to help with literacy, but I felt it more important that they BELIEVE in themselves. Maybe they would carry a little “thumb body” in their pocket to take a peep at once in a while.  Maybe they made a card to honor themselves.  Maybe they have an affirmation or two in their possession or somewhere to be seen in their home.  At any rate, they have value.  They are smart, clever, beautiful, and important to me.  If no one tells them they are loved today, I will. 


Moving into the last week into the village was not seamless even though I did not report to the school.  There was the fundraiser where I sold tickets to folks to have a treasure of Miss Patty’s.  There was also the final farewell hosted by The Sandvoort Heritage Group (SHG), a walk about to share out my food items and say goodbye to those who could not make the farewell earlier stated and delivery of a “hamper” (box) filled with food and toiletries to a village member in need.  I was proud to be present as the SHG made this presentation.


Now, about that farewell.  I expected just a few folks to come and wish me well.  I was pretty astounded with the numbers that showed up, along with several Peace Corps friends.  One of my PC friends explained to another who could not be present that the program was all that one might expect a Peace Corps experience to be remembered.  I was honored to have “The Anointed Ones” sing two lovely songs, dancers present two ethnic dances, a sing along of Guyana folk songs, presentations and brief words of thanks by so many and snacks.  It was such a lovely and memorable afternoon and one I will cherish forever.  

 Left my repainted bike with my  boy, Okasie!



 Holding back tears as I address the crowd....

 
  


As appreciated and loved as I might feel during the farewell, I was just as angry, sad and frustrated at the end of the week.  Why? Well, the Golden Jubilee took place on May 26.  I had been looking forward to ALL of the festivities for such a long time.  Months ago I found that a bus was being arranged from my area to Georgetown on the day of the holiday to see the big parade.  Those of us in the U.S. expect parades to be diverse with marching bands, military groups, sparsed with floats and others groupings.  This one, as it turned out was just floats.  Where were the marching bands? Where were the presentations to honor the 50th Independence Day Celebration? Where was the President making his talk? I asked at the end of the parade….that all happened at the past midnight!  The FLAG RAISING had ALL that and the fireworks!  Really?  I missed it?  To say I was upset would be trivializing.   Once again, sitting back in the quiet little village unable to catch internet, I missed knowing about the things I had waited for.  I did have a counterpart assigned to my service….dropped the ball. Of course, things like this are funny to the Guyanese and so my inquiry the next day was met with laughter from her.  Well, I guess I will have to YouTube it to see it.  That was the reality of the Golden Jubilee from MY vantage point!


Many of you have been following my blogs and realize that I am returning a month early for a back issue.  I found out last week that an acupuncturist DOES exist in Georgetown and began treatments last Friday.  By the time I fly out on Thursday, June 2 I will have had five sessions.  I will tell you that I felt like a new person after the second one!  I am so relieved with it and only with that Peace Corps would approve alternative treatments.  All of these months with PT, medications and doctor appointments….missing school weeks on end.  If only ……. never mind. Things happen for a reason and I am grateful that I am experiencing relief.  I might just get my life back as I knew it!  To keep up with the daily scheduled treatment, I imposed once more on my good friend, Michelle and stayed four nights with her. 
 

 She came to aid so many times during this time of my life and I am glad I apparently never wore out the welcome.  


We traveled with some other volunteers to where all the adventure started two years ago over the holiday weekend.  More about that in the next blog! Here is a teaser photo displaying the Guyana pride!
 
Now, I am preparing this the night before I leave Georgetown for the last time.  I will stay one night with the Harris family.  That was my host family in training and the ones who taped by fractured soul back together so early on after initially being rejected by another host. They will send me back home with another round of thanks for my service.  Truth be known, all the “Thank yous” will be mirrored back to them and to all who enriched my life.

Overlooked from before, but certainly worth the look:
In March I gave them a "fun fact" Monday - Friday one week.  I asked them to draw what stood out on Friday and here are a few amazing pictures.  

I talked about how volunteers are similar to migrating birds and Jahdiel made the above picture with Miss Fran's and my places. 

 

 Grade 6 student did a pretty good job at drawing the world!  I would never even try!



More coming just now!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side