Ending Term 2 - 2016

Well, I have spent more time away from school than present due to Physio Therapy on my back in the capital city of Georgetown.  I started with tree solid weeks, then weaned down to three times a week for three weeks which allowed me to at least be at school two days a  week.  The children were forgiving and happy to see me.  Children have been spending a lot of time on MASH activities and just a few seem to be motivated enough to read the six books I set aside for a contest.  You can lead a horse to water....but you know the rest.  As it turned out, the participating children in Physical Display took 3rd place for the area and did not move on to the finals in Georgetown.  While I spent time in Georgetown, I was able to get to an afternoon of the competition.  It is stiff with well-choreographed routines.  It was,  however, difficult for me to sit in the room with 1000 shreeking students!  Talk about energy!

During this time where I was in Georgetown, my village PC partner decided it was best to return to the US.  It was SAD to be in the village without that little spark! But, as any challenge life presents, I have adjusted and now realize that my own time is short!  Somewhere around 100 days, but who's counting?  The children have been teased by visiting PC volunteers a couple of times.  Those volunteers came to swap books at our library and the children thought they were seeing Miss Fran and Sir Matt (my predecessor).  It's a bit funny, but even I as "BIG" as I am have been confused with some younger volunteers with short, dark hair!  I know we aren't forgotten, but we are easily confused, for sure!

I also said farewell to a Response Volunteer.  Ramona was just in Guyana for a few months in the environmental sector.  Before Ramona left, she, two other Response Volunteers and I stayed at Pandama Wines.  The owners are an interesting and laid back couple.  He, Warren is Guyanese and served in the US Navy.  While serving, he met Tracy, a US citizen.  That was decades ago and they have made a comfy little retreat about an hour's drive out of Georgetown.  She is a designer and artist and HE makes wines from local fruits.  We took a short hike, sat and laid in hammocks near a pond of black water, waded in same water and consumed amazing food and wine!  I just HAD to get one of Tracy's tie dyed tops for the upcoming cruise.  I hope I have the opportunity to wear it! It was a nice way to spend a weekend away.

Three students who had best January behavior were treated to a tour of a local TV station.  What all of did  not know was that we would all be featured on the next night's news!  The oldest of the three students, a G6 child did the intro and also read a short poem.  The other two children were able to see themselves on actual TV!  The trip seemed to motivate the eldest as she came back saying she wants to a reporter!  It's nice to see that some of the things being done to reward good behavior have turned into seeds of imagination.  That was the plan!

My friend, Rad asked me to attend a ceremonial event for her new grandson, Ajay.  He is now a four month old and the ceremony celebrates the shaving of his birth hair.  It was lovely and the little boy was so still! It was as though he knew who the Sanskar was for.

March will have me at school seven days....7 days.  The second week is a test week for the children and I will be on holiday...my last PC holiday.  I will check off another item from my "BUCKET LIST". I will enjoy a 7 day clipper cruise in the Caribbean.  After all, when will I be in this area again for this length of time?  My next blog will give you all the details of my latest adventure! I will be back in the village only two school days before I am off to my CLOSE OF SERVICE TRAINING!  Wow, where has the time gone!  It is a bit surreal, actually.  I imagine the children of the village will be home making their kites to be flown en mass the day after Easter, known as KITE DAY.  I, on the other hand will bring my store bought nylon kite.....shameful!
PICTURES COMING JUST NOW.....

Comments

  1. Patty I am so sorry about your physical problems, I know how difficult that can be. I am so excited to hear what your next adventure will be. Enjoy your count down to your time in Guyana. You have been amazing and I am so proud of the difference you are making in those children. Take Care! Love and Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side