School has started!



Before I update the blog, I will catch up on some photos you all have been waiting for!
 Cane cutter outside my village.

 Emancipation Day festivities.....




 I made the sign!
 

School has started!  Yes, this is the day I have been preparing for.  Of course, plenty of training was provided for the adaptation into the Guyanese culture. Like many other Guyanese women, I awoke early to cook on the first day of school.  I can see the logic now after trying to prepare food in a kitchen heated by afternoon sun pouring in the west facing windows.  Not only hot, one tends to lose an appetite!

August of 2014 will never be repeated.  It is a Peace Corps requirement to sleep in our site the first three months.  Being that I am in a remote village, that meant that my trips away from the village could only be during the day.  Enthusiasm gets lost in the limited area and costly transportation.  I do enjoy the folks in the village, but I also look forward to seeing more of Guyana and that requires sleeping away from home.  Nevertheless, I have been reading about the country and have a better understanding of logistics and interests.  I was fortunate to meet up with a friend traveling from the US to Crabwood Creek for family reunion.  She and her extended family hosted me on three weekends, feeding me and another PC volunteer until we would bust! Crabwood Creek is at the far Eastern side of the country and borders Suriname.  The interaction with the family helped what would have been a very “dry” August in terms of activity.



I brought some skin issues to the attention of PC Doctor in Georgetown the last week of August.  She quickly had me see a dermatologist and the very next day those skin issues disappeared.  I wish I could say that they magically disappeared, but I was scheduled for “operation” the next day.  Well, I thought that it was a language issue.  Oh, no….I went to the operation room and with a hot, bright light shining over my body, I had 7 spots surgically removed!  Not the same experience as my USA visits to the doctor.  I probably won’t have any more areas in question during service!  I will go back to Georgetown later in week to have stiches removed.  Ok then, I will treat myself to a trip to the ice cream parlor!!
My first week at school has been assessing the reading level of 33 students.  That is the number enrolled in the village school.  Small number, but I imagine each and every one is reading below grade level and my work will be cut out for me.  My goal, of course, is to get them to grade level and with some luck maybe above for a certain percentage.  It’s all in the presentation and I strive to find fun ideas for them.  As I get to know each student, I will find what makes them tick!
My Peace Corps assigned buddy took an early termination and returned home this week.  I am quite sure her school will miss her.  She did a lot to help the children in the one year she served.  I was surprised to learn of her leaving one day and literally, she was gone the next.  I am glad I have waited to buy a hammock as she gave me hers.  I also learned that another volunteer from my training group made the decision to return to the US.  I don’t know why either made their decisions.  I do know that the medical and school systems as well as the male/female roles are difficult to manage with the drive and independence that most of us have developed over the years.  Of course, when early termination talk catches up to other medical and school staff, they want to receive assurance that the rest of us are committed.  I can say firmly that I am…….as long as the Universe deems it so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side