This American Life



Saturday morning and I am listening to a podcast of “This American Life”. I have my own version of it as “This American Life in Guyana”.  It can be pretty humorous.  I am kitty sitting for three days for a sweet ginger boy 10 week old named Curry.  He seems to like being with me and is constantly running his motor.  Aren’t we all amused by the spastic outbursts little kittens demonstrate?  This one is fascinated with my hair and sits on or close to my shoulder.  I sleep under a mosquito net and poor Curry has not been invited into the dome, much to his dismay.  However, he has managed to find my shoulder by pushing in the net.  What a character! 

I awoke early, as usual even though I had intention of taking a rest from my normal early morning walk/jog. Knowing that my water tank was running low, I got up to hook up the reserve and get this essential back in order.  This is a routine I go through about every three weeks.  The water is collected in rain barrels and can also be provided from the pipe in the community if the rain has been scarce.  There are two huge black tanks at the back of the house; one for my unit and one for the upstairs unit.  From those tanks, one needs to pump the water up to another black tank on the roof in order to have it flow into the each living area.  It all sounds simple enough, however, there are about 6 levers to turn in order to have the water going the right place.  Once the electricity is supplied to the pump, one better be ready for a massive surge of water.  It never fails that an elbow connection loosens and BAM!  Today was no different.  I thought I was prepared, but not really.  The surge produced an “OLD FAITHFUL” fountain which came straight down on my head!  HAHAHA…at 5:30 AM.  Well, no shower needed now…good. So, I now have figured out that I need apply pressure to the connection as I plug in the pump.  I only have two hands, so luckily, the notion to “sit” on it worked.  There really should be an easier way, but as I said, it has already given me a laugh for the day!

I have finished two weeks of school.  The first week was one where I assessed all of the children in grades 1 – 6.  Guyana school children are tested by the Ministry of Education in grades 2, 4 and 6 to see if they are on track.  Grade 6 children are particularly under the gun as their further schooling is based on the outcome of their exams.  Those will be coming up in March….it is really not much time to bring the literacy up to par if they are much behind.  No one is reading at grade level.  I have my work cut out for me, even though it is a small school.  Grades 2 and 4 are tested in the spring. My goal is to see all children improving at least one grade level.  The Ministry of Education wants all children testing as literate by G4.  Learning disabilities are NOT addressed or even considered.  So, week two consisted of my first “one on one” sessions.  Trust building, mostly. Letting the children know that I see them as intelligent and encouraging to share with me is the foundation for what I hope to be the road forward.  

The first PTA meeting was held last week.  I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the showing.  It is a small village and only 33 students in the school; a lot of brothers and sisters.  The meeting had about a dozen caregivers. I was asked to address the group and offer assistance for how they help their children.  It is common for children to be seen as full of the devil and needing lashes. (Something our US society has deemed a felony…..hard to watch or even hear. They fall back on the practice being in the Bible.)  Of course, my approach is the other side of the spectrum.  I reminded those at the PTA that the learning style they have may be different that their student.  I let them know that I am available for tutoring for the student and for any adult who needs assistance with reading.  I shared some personal insight I learned as a young parent and I hope I didn’t alienate myself from them! I see these children STARVED for attention and needing praise, praise and MORE PRAISE!  

I have to say that the weather is NOT so uncomfortable for me.  I sense a coolness in the breezes even though the sun is “boring” into me.  (That is a common term here.)  Evenings are delightful and even the mosquitoes are fewer than before.  The rains have diminished some, but unfortunately, we had a big downpour last Sunday JUST as I was dressing to leave for the 6AM Zumba.  We had to cancel it as I was assured that even if I took a car to the location, no one else would show up.  It was disappointing since I had offered a new challenge to the group.  It was to be WEEK ONE of ten.  If they show up for Zumba ten weeks in a row I will reward them with a coin scarf….everyone is jazzed for it! 

The barrel shipment sent in August arrived in my neighborhood!  I was in Georgetown on that particular day and so it was taken to the local office.  Another PCV that had items in the barrel and I went to the office to unload…it was like Christmas!  Very exciting….now I have my spare bed in the house.  Yes, it is a cot, but I have found cots very comfortable in the past.  This one has a nice carrying case with a shoulder strap.  Not a fancy set up, but functional.  I am ready for my next barrel shipment to go out soon and I have amassed a ridiculous amount ….no sharing this one.  I should be set for the next 22 months! Really.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side