Looking Back.....

So, I have been back to the USA over a month now.  "How's it going?", I'm asked.  Well, I thought I'd be prepared for being overwhelmed by choices, traffic (in a different way), protocols, procedures and food.  However, I did not imagine how.  I can tell you that I now know the HOW of these things and more.  I am surprised and disappointed at the lack of flavor the produce has.  I am shell shocked by the high prices of food.  Traffic doesn't even seem an issue except for an excessive amount of red light running.  Protocols  and procedures for documentation is what I could not have imagined.  I get a document from government organization A that organization B fails to recognize.  Organization B wants to email me a link where I will click, find an appropriate form, complete, print, san and resubmit to organization B.  Oh, and if "this, then and that" don't match up with ......WELL, you get the idea! 

So, in the midst of all that, (with doubts about how complete my work has been raising my blood pressure) I witnessed a police action as I entered my doctor's office for a follow up. Not a good day for a BP reading!  On the JOY side of the scale, it has been so rewarding to be back in the space of my family, grandchildren, 3 & 5 have sprouted long legs and big vocabularies!  My big boy, Jacob who is 8 is autonomous and reads at a 5th grade level.  Well, I almost don't know what to do with myself around him! 

The weather....oh, SO comfortable!  80ish seems to be hot to some locals, but for me, I am in heaven with lower humidity! At first, I was wearing a jacket everywhere I went in FLORIDA....in JUNE!  It has not taken so long to adapt again though and I am no longer standing out in a crowd due to my attire. 

My son has recently asked for a sample of Guyana food, so COOK-UP on the menu!  He liked it so I will bring out more with time.  I am missing pholourie and sour, egg balls, pine tarts and snack shops with all of their many choices! I am hungry for the market produce on a daily basis. I will get around to making my own....just now.

Great opportunities are always available for visitors and locals in DC.  July 1st found Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum celebrating 40 years and staying open ALL NIGHT!  What a great experience to see the mall at night AND have fun activities at he museum, allowing my inner child to come out and play. 

Since then I made my way to my Arizona home and have been so happy to see the beautiful RIM COUNTRY again.  My place is in the mountains about a mile high, so not quite as hot as one hears about the Phoenix area.  I'd love to stay put there, but personal business has me going to Salt Lake City, Utah.  It looks like back surgery is in order and I will recover at a relative's flat home for 10 weeks after surgery in September. 

I do miss all of the villagers I met in Guyana.  I have gotten some social media messages and pictures.  I do hope my Guyanese friends will keep their messages coming!  Some day I may return and I want to be able to look folks up! 

So, you see I am adapting.  I still have my moments of OVERLOAD.  It is usually when I am in the presence of children and witnessing the plethora of stimulus they have in their world.  We take so much for granted and, as children they are fed the desires as soon as they enter the planet.  We live in such and unbalanced world!

All the best in your world....
Patty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side