April Doin's



Last or Lasting Events
I started the month with a new “Around the World” theme since I would soon be leaving Guyana.  I distributed Passports that Epcot generously provided for each child.  The passports have a spot for a stamp for about eight key countries.  When children write a short paragraph about the featured country they receive a stamp.  Smaller children just need to draw a picture to get the stamp.  I explained how a passport is used in an assembly and a few children are really working to get it filled.  My challenge was finding enough different rubber stamps.  I had a set but was short three…..corks trim up nicely for the job, in case anyone ever finds themselves in a similar situation! 

I have amassed quite a collection of raw materials to make projects and a parent gave me the idea of conducting a workshop where children could come and make things.  So, I set up my materials and had the workshop mid-April.  All ages participated in making TP or paper bag puppets, spirit sticks, bracelets, paper making, puzzles, collages, butterflies, clocks and more.  I must say they did a good job of clearing out supplies! My newest project is a fundraiser for the school.  I will take the “treasures” I am not returning to the US with and selling tickets.  They will come to me on May 22 to pick up their Patty Treasure.  I am planning on returning to the US with very little! Believe it or not, sorting and packaging for this fundraiser has consumed a lot of my time in April!

Domestic Violence is a BIG country wide problem and much of it stems from substance abuse.  Suzi, a GUY27 and I have been working on introducing Al-Anon to her area.  She is positioned in a better area as far as transportation availability.  She also has a beautiful meeting area with plenty of chairs in a Mother’s Union.  It was my dream that Al-Anon would be introduced in the area of Guyana where I live, Region 6.  It is also the area that has the unfavorable award of having the most suicides in the country.  These topics all have a common denominator.  It is extremely difficult to have the family members feel safe enough to attend a meeting of family support, but we keep trying.  Baby steps….. 

I did make a quick break to see a fellow PCV off. Tanoa and I have had the role in GUY26 of being the eldest male and female.  He leaves in May and had a nice gathering to bid him well.  And so it begins…the volunteers from 2014 begin filtering back after working in their villages two years (or nearly).  
Sorry, no pics this time!  

By the way, if you are accustomed to reaching me on WhatsApp, I no longer have ability to respond.  I can see your message, but my phone is "tripping" as said here and I have no texting ability.  I can, however make and receive phone calls.  I won't be replacing it as I leave June 2 for the US!

Well wishes to you all!

Comments

  1. Passport activity is a Great idea... and one I will be introducing into our school, I am sure! (btw, in a pinch, potatoes also make pretty good stamps... I did one of my first New Year's greeting cards back when I was first in Japan using a carved potato as stamp (I believe it was the Year of the Horse).. it held up well through the 40 or so cards I stamped from it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The passport was such a good idea. Children love hands on activities. Thinking of you everyday as you come the the end of your time in Guyana. Enjoy every day and we will see you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side