Ending 2015

WARNING...THIS IS LONG!
OK OK...so it's been a long while since I last blogged. I am unbelievably challenged in the village.  I am presently in Georgetown for the week and can get the blog updated!

Term 1, the Christmas Term came to a quiet, but focused end.  The reading group that read the first Harry Potter book BARELY finished before the break.  So, with that in mind, we won't be reading any more of the HP series as a group! Based on my first year at the school, I did not hold high expectations for big changes.  In fact, I found myself more serene about the flow of energy.  I basically have learned not to fight the masses; just flow with what is happening.  We continue our "Good Behavior" program that awards the students for going out of their way to improve in terms of relationship building, teamwork, ground cleanliness and so on.  It appears that teachers need more time to have this new notion become part of their awareness pattern.  Why?  Because, the names submitted for the last month were done my me alone.  The students look forward to their month end prize, no matter  what is is and I do hope the staff can continue to reward good effort once I am gone.  In September I treated three to my "Fancy Pancake Breakfast" on a Sunday.
 
 October award was Church's Chicken with our Head Miss and November winners came to my house to "Make Pizza with Miss Patty".  I really don't intend for rewards to wrap around food so in 2016 I hope to come up with activities of interest.  I do, however, have my hands tied some with cheap/free rewards and transportation issues.

Two G6 girls wanted to write their own book or book of stories.  Believe me, I have NO experience writing a book!  I have leaned on other PCV who have degrees in writing or have had a class of students write a book.  I gave some lunchtime lessons to focus on various aspects and asked them to do a draft during the three week break, December 12 - January 4.  I can't wait to see their masterpieces!

A welcome break for me is when I make an Environmental presentation at a secondary school.   My second opportunity came in the fall with fellow PCV Suzi and Crystal.  We traveled to Port Mourant Secondary School where we addressed and interfaced with about 40 students.  For the second time the students were so excited to be involved with a day of interactive sessions about our environment.  It is a fun day packed with good information.  Here we are with the HM of the school:
 


Halloween is not commonly recognized as we know it in the US.  As a matter of fact, it is discouraged as evil in the village.  We PCV all enjoy acting a part and just as last year, our PC group GUY26 had a group theme.  Many gathered in Georgetown to party as the APP of choice.  I stayed back in the village, not really big on the club scene.  However, I still like to dress a part so my APP was Places Around Me. I played virtually..."Clever, huh?", she said unabashedly.
 Lindsey, Chase and Jenni doing their part ~~ 




On birthdays in Guyana, I have seen folks bring food to the children at school.  The meal is accompanied by sweets and cake.  Since I have such a small school I decided that I would do the same.  On my birthday in November I brought something I like....chili and cornbread. I took in stuffed baked potatoes with the chili/cheese topping.
 

 
Most really liked the food, although a couple told me they missed their rice!  Of course, I knew I would hear that!  LOL  May I just add that MY REAR WAS DRAGGING when the school day was over! If I had a party to go to I would have had to cancel!  Speaking of birthdays, I may have mentioned that I bring in cookies the first school day of the month to honor those born in that month AND to be sure that children know their birthdays.  So many DO NOT KNOW and I feel they are not celebrated.  I feel a bit sad that for just one day these small people are not made to feel special. If I could take a cake to each one on their birthday, you know I would!

During the fall, PCV family members from the US came to visit.  I was happy to meet Lindsey Daugherty's Mom, Donna from Baltimore, MD and Michelle Weekly's daughter, Gloria from Alaska, yet moving to Montana after the visit. I spent as much time as I could with each, which was not much.  It always boils down to transportation issues...how late can I safely travel back to my village?  It is interesting to talk to visitors as I am reminded of my first impressions here in Guyana.  Sometime I feel I have been here 10 years as I might have forgotten about some differences they mention.  One such observations stated as, "It appears that double yellow lines have no meaning here."  YEP.

The 10K run I looked forward to for a year happened in November.  I had visited the area in November 2014 when a fellow volunteer lived in the village.  Over the course of the year to follow, the villagers worked intensely to prepare marathon/half marathon and 10K course.  I was impressed with the layout and the well-marked path in addition to the supplements available at key points.  There was no lack in the organization and marking.  Less than 200 ran the courses as the area is small and could only safely accommodate so many.  A group of PCV met in Georgetown and took late bus/boat connections arriving in Santa Mission about 10PM the night before the race.  We awoke early and had food we brought with us for breakfast.  A nice BBQ lunch awarded us after the race.  Of course, the best award was to realize I did a jungle run and receive a hand crafted wooden medal at the finish line!
 
 

Over Thanksgiving I hosted two other "senior" PCV for the traditional turkey dinner.  We had another two drop in for the day.  It was intimate and nice with plenty of potatoes, dressing, turkey, rolls, cranberries, deviled eggs, pumpkin pie and wine! I could not find ingredients for my favorite yam dish so I found a nice squash/tomato dish that is flavored with local spices.  It was a lovely meal and there was turkey in my freezer until the end of the year!  I did relish it as the cost of that 12# Butterball was $45 USD!
                 Here we are toasting the holiday...cheers, Suzi, Michelle, Judy!


The school had the end of term party on the Wednesday before the term actually ends.  This is not uncommon and the children tend to stay home after the celebration and awards given.  Why wouldn't they?  Well, I enticed them to keep coming the few extra days and promised those who did would be treated to S'Mores!  There were just eight students who continued to come to school the last two days.  Teachers seem to need that time to get end of term records complete for submission to regional education offices. I brought in puzzles and games to keep them occupied.  Those that came were happy to partake in the gooey S'More building.  It was a bit odd because that day was a windy day and I opted NOT to build an outdoor fire.  I took my kerosene one burner stove to school and learned that the school DOES HAVE A KITCHEN!  OK ~ the room next to the library that I thought was a store room is a kitchen with a sink only.  We made space on a little counter near the door to set up the burner.  The children found some sticks and we did our thing!  Although they begged for more, I held them to one each as they are SWEET!

 Good job to those who finished the term with their good attendance.  I still plan on awarding my bicycle to a student with perfect attendance at the end of my service.  I will, of course, get it fixed up to look pretty.  It has been handed down who knows how many times and it looks it!  I wonder if the word will get out?  The students don't know what the mystery gift is...they  just know that I am promising a "good gift."

The month of December flew by, as it must have for some many of you.  I had some time in Georgetown for medical before I flew out to Orlando, Florida on a quick four day reunion with some family members.  We gathered at a comfortable hotel near Disney properties.  I was COLD at Magic Kingdom, but the following three days were perfect with Florida showing us it's well known hospitable weather.  I loved seeing my family: daughter, son in law, his parents, brothers (and extended families), 2 of 3 grandchildren, sister and friend, even if it was brief!  Additionally, I was pleased that Disney properties, Disney Spring sand Epcot provided tokens for me to give to the children of Sandvoort Primary!
         Rachel, Gabby and I at Disney Springs.

                                       Grayson and I take a ride with....what...who....SANTA??
                                       (This is actually Grayson's grandfather on Daddy's side. )

                                       Grayson and Gabby in hotel lobby...so much to see!

Travel in and out of Guyana takes an entire day....15- 20 hours once one factors in shuttle/taxi time.  I left the US on the 23rd on a 4:15AM shuttle and arrived at a friend's home in Georgetown at 11:45PM.  It is amazing to look on a map and wrap your brain around HOW travel is SO  LENGTHY!  I had a nice visit with my host, promising another outing of some sort before she leaves in February.  I am beginning to realize just how our lives in Peace Corps will fragment and break apart from our tight knit family mentality.  I have been reminded of the time in my life when I worked seasonal work in the Teton National Park.   We would house in dorm rooms for 3-4 months and get to know one another quite well.  We acted as though we were family.  When it was over, it was over.  I have NO acquaintances that I remain in touch with 30 years later.  That will not happen with GUY26 if I can help it!

Christmas Day was spent with just a few PCV at my friend, Michelle's house.  We enjoyed Guyanese traditional Christmas favorite of Pepperpot, roti and potato curry, chips and salsa and deviled eggs.  Of course, we toasted with wine!  The next day, Boxing Day is typically one for Guyanese to travel from home to home for open houses.  This would explain why few Guyanese came to Michelle's on Christmas!  She and I found the new movie house at the Giftland Mall (yes, it is American style mall) and saw "Loving the Coopers" as well as "Daddy's Home".  That topped off my holiday adventure!

Again, I thank you all for your good thoughts, well wishes, letters, cards and packages.  By the way, any package should be sent to 2900 NW 112th Avenue, Unit 1, GEO 1204, Doral, FL 33192 and NONE sent AFTER APRIL 1.  Packages take longer and have even been known to arrive six months late!  May I just add that I am on my last bit of American coffee and would love some to get me through service!  Hazelnut, medium roast if you are inclined!    So, with that not so humble end, I bid you a contented and fruitful 2016!

Comments

  1. I received your Christmas card-thank you! Sounds like you are experiencing new things on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side