Trying To Find The Joy




The month of October saw two more of our group leave Guyana.  It was hard to see friends Kelly and Erika leave and I took a day off of school to have lunch with them in Georgetown before they left the country.  I am happy they are safe and moving on to their next chapter of life outside of Guyana.  Kelly on the left and Erika in pink top joined by me, Lindsey and Tanoa for lunch at The Oasis.
 Admittedly, I go to a place where I question my role in the Peace Corps; in the village; in school when these things happen.  Then I return to school and see the smiles, hear the cries of “Miss Patty” and receive the hugs that I know I’m at the right place. 




October was dedicated to sports, Sports, SPORTS and more SPORTS!  Sandvoort Primary is not unlike any other primary school in Guyana when it comes to competitive and enthusiastic response when given a chance at sports….in particular, cricket.  However, in terms of numbers, Sandvoort Primary has just 25 children, G1-G6.  This means ALL children with ability must participate in competitions be them local or regionally.  This means that academics falls to the back burner and in spite of Ministry of Education time Scheme, topics are just not going to be covered. If there were more students attending, perhaps there would be a system where only the academic achievers could play sports.  However, that is not the case when all children are needed. So, there is not an incentive in October to work hard in the classroom.  Well, we’ve all heard, “When you can’t beat them, join them.”  So, I take the opportunity to learn more about a game that I don’t see in the US.  I hope I understand it better by the time I leave next summer!

I had the opportunity to address another Secondary School in regards to an Environmental presentation.   Two fellow Peace Corps Volunteers and I delivered three lessons about clean waterways, life as a stray animal and the web of life to demonstrate how our actions leave impact for others as well as how other species affect our lives. It was enthusiastically received by the chosen students and staff.  I was impressed to visit with these students and discover that there really are caring and intelligent young people growing up in Guyana. 



You don't see me hard at work here.  No, Suzi, Crystal and I enjoy a juice break!

I also had the pleasure to address a group of young girls in our local GLOW meeting.  GLOW stands for Girls Leading Our World and targets girls in G6 to about age 17.  The month previous was dedicated to their goals and sending a letter to a US pen pal who would help mentor them.  For my presentation in October, I chose to provide a tool to help them with their goals.  I talked to them about affirmations and the value of good self talk.  Of course, affirmations were vague and unknown to them, but they got the hang of it quickly and hopefully put them in action. 


I was invited to attend a one day workshop in nearby Rose Hall at St. Frances Community Development.  Wow, what a powerful day of brain storming and presentation to the Minister of Social Cohesion.  It felt like a promising day of being heard! There were groups addressing, education, youth, …….. Guyana has vowed to develop a plan to bring families the needed services that they deserve.  It appears the ball has begun to roll.

A parent requested a session to make some teaching aids so I set aside a couple of Sunday afternoons.  It was not well attended, but enough to share information.  Miss Fran and I had a good time with neighbors in a relaxing setting....my living room!


November rolled around with my plan to provide school lunch for my birthday.  It is customary on one’s birthday to provide a meal.  So, I decided that I would share a meal that I enjoy.  I prepared chili and cornbread.  However, because of the volume that I needed for a group of 40, I decided that I would bake potatoes and make stuffed potatoes with the chili.  Most liked the meal - especially the cornbread. We don’t see baked potatoes offered in Guyana! Believe me, I was dead to the world on the night of my birthday!

The Hindu holiday of Diwali has just passed.  It's known as the Festival of Lights.  It is celebrated much like 4th of July in US with exploding and vibrant night firework displays along with candles lit by the hundreds in yards and Mandirs.  I joined some PC Volunteers to watch a night parade of lit floats, but sadly....only four made their way by us and that was after an hour and a half wait!  Timing is not important MOST of the time in Guyana. The next holiday in Guyana is Christmas.

Long awaited event, 1st Santa Mission Marathon took place November 14.  Santa Mission is the closest Amerindian village to Georgetown and reached by bus and boat.  The event was amazingly well organized and bib pickup was done at the new Marriott Hotel in Georgetown, a sponsor.  This was followed by a pasta dinner and short video at the hotel of the village and preparation.  Villagers took a great deal of time a care to forge a well groomed trail through the jungle for the marathon, a ½ marathon and 10k run.    The day of the race was hot and humid.  Although the majority of my run, a 10K was under jungle canopy - the humidity was an intimidating factor!  I was grateful to encounter two well stocked water stations AND a GOO station.  Additionally, volunteers approached at least once to see how runners were holding up.  I found a Guyanese woman to pace myself with and found her to motivate me to doing more than I had intended.  I finished along side her and congratulated and thanked her for being a good sport.  This race was well sponsored and runners came from all corners of the world to run in the jungle and explore Guyana.  It was fun to mingle among these folks.  I hope the village will be up to hosting this run again next year and many years to come!

So, now I focus on the holidays.  Of course, Guyana does not celebrate Thanksgiving.  HOWEVER, many PC Volunteers will gather as family units here and there to give thanks and eat.  I am hosting a couple over night and will have dinner for maybe five or six.  We will do what you all do…eat, play games and take a walk.  Although we will do all this the Saturday following Thanksgiving and we won’t have a parade or football game to watch, it’s all good!

I thought  readers might like to see the major mode of transportation outside of walking.  Bicycles have a board across the front and many children come to school this way.
Drivers of all kinds are very skilled here!!

 I will leave you with more of beautiful Guyana.  This is the Berbice River and reflecting back to the Rosignol Stelling area. I am headed by boat  to New Amsterdam.  I can ride free!   I am over 60.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side