August Contrasts


Where do I start?  This August is certainly different than last August.  This time last year I was scheduling the most mundane tasks for the sake of looking like I had something to do.  I have just completed mid-service training and now look at finishing some projects before I leave next summer.  I know the time will go quickly. 

Emancipation Day is celebrated August 1 in Guyana.  This year, Sandvoort Village had a week-long celebration that started with no less than the President of Guyana making an appearance on August 1 right at the Community Centre (upstairs at the Health Centre).  I was asked to give a short talk during the ceremony and addressed a packed house JUST BEFORE His Excellency, David Granger gave a nice speech.  I have my speech added at the bottom of this blog entry.  

The night our training finished, I was on a plane headed out to meet my sisters for a MILESTONE CRUISE.  Well, that’s what WE called it.  All three of them had or will have soon a milestone birthday (50th or 60th) and I am midway through my Peace Corps service so it seemed appropriate.  We were on the Adventure of the Sea with Royal Caribbean.   As luck would have it, in order for me to make the departure of the ship in Puerto Rico, I needed to island hop.  I spent the night in Barbados going out and did the same on the way back.  I was fortunate to find a very nice and cost effective room thanks to Peace Corps volunteers recently training in Barbados.  John Edwards and his mother were so accommodating and nice even though I had a very late arrival (1AM!).  I had to sleep quickly and leave at 7AM for my continuing flight to San Juan, Puerto Rico where I went straight to the ship and somehow found my sisters among 3000+ people checking in.  We went straight away to the buffet where we spent nearly every morning.  What a great array of breakfast items. After getting settled into our room and trying to acclimate to the layout of the ship we got ready for dinner!  It’s no wonder I came home with my clothes feeling snugger.  I just know someone in my village will say, “Miss, you’re getting fat!” We were pleasantly surprised to discover two couples about our ages from Boston.  They would play along with our silliness all week in good spirits.  

 There's the ship!  Adventures of the Seas, here I come!




Over the course of the cruise we sisters would take four excursions, watch the dance and ice skating shows onboard, enjoy a spa treatment of some sort (pedicures, facials, massages, acupuncture, something for everyone), play music trivia and cards, shop, eat and drink to our heart’s content.  We all got along great and no one felt that they needed to do something unless we wanted to.  Our first stop was St. Thomas where we ALL zip lined!  Was I nervous?  Not until it was my turn and had to take the step off the platform!  The last one was high, high and I could only step off by looking far out to the horizon.  Once I was racing down the cable, it was a BLAST!  There were 6 platforms with some variety and our guides were very patient with those of us who had never done it! 




 Of course, we were exhausted afterwards due to the adrenaline rush.  However, I did find the energy to shop.

Our next stop was at St. Kitts where Megan (aka Meg Ryan/Mimi) and I took a catamaran to a nearby island where lunch was served and we enjoyed a short swim.  The trade winds are deceiving and Mimi got quite a sunburn in spite of using a sunscreen.  Lucky for her, it happened early in the cruise; she found pure aloe and her massage the last day was comfortable!   We had a sail day then our next stop would be in Aruba (Jamaica, ooh I wanna take ya – it always came out that way) where we did our own thing.  We found a wonderful Butterfly Farm that was relaxing, beautiful and informative.  It would be a time that we all took a MOM minute and knew she was “with” us.  We wandered to the beach and found a fun place to have lunch and visit with a family from Italy.  The last excursion day was in Caracao where we toured a Museum, Hato Caves and Curacao Liquors.  Our tour guide told us that Air Force One has been seen occasionally at the airport…who knew?? Our last day on the ship was a sail day and we awoke to the port of San Juan the next day.  Off the ship and on to the sights of San Juan.  We were met by an enterprising young man who took the four of us along with about 12 more on a city tour in his small bus.  He stopped for photo opportunities and snacks.  He dropped us at our hotel and took the others to the airport.  That is exactly the type of thing I always wish I could find on long layovers!  We stayed in Old San Juan at Cervantes Hotel.  It was nice and they didn’t give me any trouble when I locked valuables in the safe and could not open it at 11PM!  As I was leaving at 7AM, I needed help fast and the desk clerk had never had that happen, but was so excited when his procedures worked to open the safe.  Smiles around.  On the one day that Megan, Kay and I had in San Juan, we booked TWO excursions.  We went to the rain forest in the morning and night kayaking later in the day. 


Here's a fun shot from July.  I headed out for a nice little walk in a field (after plenty rain) and no sooner sank a foot up nearly up to my knee!  I had to fish shoe out and did fall back into muck...which you can't see, but my backside is muddied up!  Believe it or not, the shoe recovered! 


*****    *****     *****     *****     *****     *****     *****     *****     *****     *****     *****     *****

EMANCIPATION DAY 1 AUGUST 2015


“SHORT TALK BY PEACE CORPS VOLUNTEER – Patrece Ryan” as it was shown on the program.



Good Afternoon, Executive President of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana Brigadier David A. Granger, Honorable Members at the Head Table, Special Invitees, Sandvoort Council, and village members.  I am Patrece Ryan, United States Peace Corps Volunteer, living my life-long dream.  I humbly stand before you today on YOUR Emancipation Day.  From the time I set eyes on the surrounding cane fields, gradually arriving to the entrance of the village, I felt right at home! A welcome fit for royalty was given to me and I have always felt SAFE and watched over.  I have just completed my first year as a teacher providing individual literacy instruction to SandvoortAND Lochaber Primary children, G1-6.  Over the course of the year, I have been proud of the accomplishments I’ve seen.  Of course, there is always room for improvement!  I will do my best to raise the literacy level of each Sandvoort Primary child before I leave in July 2016.  Lochaber Primary has just been introduced to their new Peace Corps Volunteer, Miss Frances DeFabio who is sitting amongst you.  In an ideal world I’d see 100% read at grade level or above.  This brings me to an intersection where I meet family members.  Many persons attending today are descendants of the first owners- former slaves of Sandvoort.  You have so much to be proudof!  Now is not the time for complacency.  Now IS the time for parents, caregivers, Department Heads, teachers and volunteers to link arm in arm to raise the children up to the level of their highest potential.  I call on you caregivers and leaders to take advantage of special, free lessons that I, for one offer.  Hold the children accountable to their time with me.   I challenge YOU to praise your children to success and they WILL carry the Sandvoort name into further greatness. 

In terms of the library started by former Peace Corps Volunteers, I implore you to get more involved.  Keep this beautiful trophy library thriving by volunteering a couple of hours a month.  Bring your friends and guests to see how extensive it has become.  I am honored and pleased to be in Guyana right now as I witness changes happening.  Lastly, let me say that when I count my blessings, being in this village tops the list! 




Comments

  1. Patty, I am so proud of you! I read all of your blogs and I am amazed at all you have accomplished and will continue to accomplish. I am so proud of the speech you gave, I just sat and cried out of sheer loe for you and all that your are doing!! Keep up and good work and stay healthy and safe. Love you so much my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this, Patty. I love you and can't wait to see you again!
    Mary Julia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side