Last school term has begun!

Since I last wrote, the second term has ended and we all enjoyed a two week break.  I took the opportunity to visit my children and grandchildren in the US.  It was just "what the Dr. ordered"!  I returned recharged and not SO uptight about the pace of things in my environment.  Always better to be able to live a peaceful existence with oneself! 

I flew out on April 1st after spending a night at my host family's house.  I am grateful they put me up as they are very close to the airport and my site is about 3 hours away!  They were happy to see that I carried lasagna dinner and wine for the evening!  I took my morning walk with Auntie Joosje for old times sake.  I left Guyana and flew over the beautiful Caribbean midday.  When I flew in last year, it was dark and I was so pleased to see the islands and surrounding waters!  I look forward to a closer visit in a few short months when my sisters and I cruise the area. I landed in Trinidad and needed to collect baggage for Customs and resubmit.  On to Miami where I had to collect luggage AGAIN for Custom's clearance.  Finally, to my final destination, Pensacola!  I arrived about 9:30 PM and so happy to see Aric.  I had one day to pamper myself then the next day the family took off for an Easter weekend in New Orleans, LA!  I had only been there one short night/day over 20 years ago, so that was a pleasure.  We hit the zoo and aquarium and walked the Riverfront and Bourbon Street areas.  I ate like I had never eaten and somehow, must have walked it off as I did not gain a pound! Schucks...I didn't get the NO pictures on the flash for this net café visit.

 We returned the day after Easter to Pensacola.  That day is Kite Day in Guyana and MANY people line the seawall and parks to fly homemade and retail kites.  I hope to catch that action next year. 


Sean and Jake arrived on the 7th for four days with us.  Oh my, we did not let any moss grow under foot as we took in a Blue Angels practice, a dolphin cruise, a trip to pick strawberries and a visit to the beach.  We tried to remember to take FLAT STANLEY on our adventures.  He is a traveling about for a special project and had come from Nevada!

 Unfortunately, Jake (7) was stung by a man of war after we had been at the beach about 2 hours. It was enough beach time and we rushed home to treat his hurting hand.  Tough way to learn about marine life.  I am not sure I would have recognized the pest either! You can see below that he recovered and played with cousins later in the day.




Returning back to Guyana, all loaded up was a test for this ole gal. Again, I was required to submit luggage at two Custom's points. I left Pensacola at 6AM and returned to Guyana at 9:30 PM.  My host mom picked me up and I slept in my clothes!  really ......dead tired

I got back to my village on Sunday at 5PM and had about an hour of daylight.  I was unpacking when I got the great Guyanese welcome...BLACKOUT!  It lasted some time and I succumbed to it.  I showered and took an early night. 

Hit the ground running this week at school and I must say that all of the things that might have troubled me before I was able to shrug off.  I have taken a approach, thanks to a friend that said I must remember that I am modeling.  I need to relax about TEACHING.  People are learning just by watching.  I recall years ago hearing most people catch more than they are taught.  Talking to my friend was a great reminder.  I appreciate it and breathe easier! 
 

 
Until next time!

Comments

  1. I am so glad you had such a good time with your family. I think it was great you got time away to regroup.I loved the pics of Sean and Rachel and the grandchildren! Thanks for keeping us updated. I love hearing about you adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side