CUSTOMS



Folks in the village use their voices as doorbells. Even though my house has a clearly marked sign with an arrow under the word “BELL”, not one person has rung it.  Rather, to get my attention they stand at the gate and yell, “INSIDE!” There is someone above me, so both of us appear at our respective doorways to see who is being summoned.  Occasionally, I hear “Miss Patty” and then I know for sure that my attention is needed.  This morning the neighbor just to my west was calling “Vanny!” in order to get the attention of my neighbor just to my east.  She responded.  It is effective, if your ear is trained to hear the caller. Along the same line, the hired cars that occasionally run up and down the sole road in the village are hailed by folks inside their homes!  They have amazing lungs.  I have yet to be successful hailing a car from inside my gate, let alone inside my house!  If I miss that one car, who knows when the next comes through.  It is the one unsettling thing I dislike about the remoteness of my village. 
From the time I arrived at my training host family home last May, I found the custom of carrying small birds in cages odd.  I am reminded that in my Star Valley home in Arizona, I would occasionally see a man walking the park with his caged bird.  I always thought he might be a little “off”.  However, it is customary to keep birds in cages and put them in/out or even take them on a bike ride!  Really.  My host father had 16 cages in the house and many went out on separate poles early in the day and returned to the home at night.  I don’t know how so much care can come to birds that are intended to fly, fly, fly and yet so much neglect given to dogs.  Why, I know not one Guyanese family that invites their adult dog into the house.  They adore puppies, but the care dwindles as the dog ages.  I have never seen a dog leash on a dog in Guyana.  Cats, however, known to keep critters at bay (or consumed) are invited inside homes. Spaying and neutering are not common as procedures are costly and facilities are not close for those living outside of Georgetown.  There might be a handful of clinics around the country, but it is not common practice to neuter/spay and the vicious cycle repeats quickly.
Folks can’t believe I wash my hair at night and sleep with it wrapped up. About half way through the night I will take the wrap off and drape my hair over a toweled pillow.  It’s a long known “fact” that one becomes sick if they go to bed with wet hair.  A friend recently had a cold and to combat the drainage that had a small amount of blood in it, she went to the sink and bent over then tapped some water on her head so the bleeding would stop.  Of course, there are volumes of treatments from bush leaves, bark, oils, flowers that Peace Corps staff frowns on us trying. 
It is customary that footwear “boots” or “slippers” are checked at the door.  However, another inside slipper awaits.  If I fail to wear an inside slipper (flip-flops), I am asked, “Aren’t your feet cold?”  COLD?  Really?  Not a chance.  Now, once you return to the outside footwear, best to turn them upside down and shake as critters do like to hide in dark places!
It’s also customary for people to restate the obvious.  “Miss, you’re eating” I recently heard after buying a “take away” lunch and finding a spot to sit.  Or you might hear, “You are getting fat” if they see a roll above the beltline.  Yep….judgement is right out in the open.  To be fair, it seems that a little extra is pleasing to many.  Some of my PC younger friends hear it every day and maybe they have even lost weight since arriving in country. I’ve learned to respond with the obvious also, such as “bai (boy), you’re walking”.  SMILE…..
Sponsorship…that seems to be key to individuals and families.  There are actually more Guyanese living outside Guyana than in.  Just about ¾ of a million in country and it appears that they all want to be saved by those coming from outside.  “I want to marry you” is heard sometimes as the opening line.  If not the first thing said, it comes shortly after.  I might add that age has no barrier.  I don’t get the constant barrage, but I hear it too.  Even women have asked me to sponsor them pretty quickly after developing a conversation.  If I say “I’m not in position to do that.” I have severed a relationship.  Period….
February is history. Early in the month, PC volunteers came to my part of the world.  Many traveled a few hours to gather in New Amsterdam for Beer Olympics.  There were a few teams (countries) formed and a few games that revolved around beer, of course!  We had a pot luck too so there was a fair amount of food.  A good time had by all. Not knowing how long I could "hang" with the kids, I volunteered to be the in charge of pictures!  HA! 

 Otherwise, February was entirely consumed by Mashramani activities.  The school had a couple of presentations in the “Physical Display” field.  Here we are waiting for the school to be called up.



 
 It required experienced coaches coming to school during school hours to have children practice.  Then, of course the  Mashramani celebration took place in a big way the 23rd in Georgetown.  I partied with other PC volunteers over the weekend.  It was a good time, but I was happy to return to my quiet village.re were the regional displays and performances that required we attend during school hours.

 But wait! We aren’t finished just yet.  New Amsterdam (the closest city to my village) will have a float parade and celebration on March 1.  I do believe Mash will be complete.  Guyana has more observed holidays than any other country.  There are six recognized cultures coexisting and each may share or have their own holidays.  With that being said, we will observe Phagwah on March 6th.  I am hoping to find 7 curry somewhere.  It is a presentation of 7 different curries in a huge leaf from the National Flower.  It is customary to serve 7 Curry at Hindu weddings, but I have not attended one yet.  I do hope I have the opportunity sometime!
In spite of the abbreviated curriculum, we continued to work a reward program for the students.  For the month of February, the students were told only the top five students would have the opportunity to enjoy a field trip to the New Amsterdam Fire Department followed by ice cream.  They all receive points just to arrive at school and must have good behavior to keep the points.  Bad behavior =loss of points.  We also found ways to give additional points for good behavior.  I accompanied 2 grade 6, 1 grade 4, 1 grade 3 and 1 grade 1 today and they really enjoyed themselves.  I am not sure what the highlight was for them, but riding in the cab of a rolling fire truck with sirens on was mine!  It was very informative and lucky for us, no emergency call came in while we were there.  Future fire fighters of Guyana here:
March will sprint by, defying its name.  I am planning a visit to Pensacola, Florida and reunite with my two children and their families.  I am looking forward to giving HARD hugs!  Can’t wait to see how the grandchildren have grown.  Pictures make me feel I’ve been gone 2 years, yet it has not even been one!  I will be in Florida from April 1 – 11 and I am quite sure that will not feel sufficient. 
When I return, we will be in the third term.  The Grade 6 students will have already had their assessments that will determine where they will go to secondary school.  The pressure is truly on as I write this and I honestly don’t know where their heads will be in the third term once they take their exams.  I sure hope they continue to come to school!!  Grades 2 and 4 will have their exams towards the end of the term.  Interestingly enough, Grades 1, 3 and 5 do not have Ministry of Education exams.  They will, of course be tested on a local level.  By the time I am finished with my service, I hope all of this makes sense.  The idea that 6th graders are determining their future by their work in March just blows me away.  I would have not known how serious it was at that level and honestly, didn’t get a clue until about grade 10 or 11. 
 
I hope my family and friends in the US are staying warm.  Soon, you will see signs of spring.  I think of how lucky I am to escape the snow, ice and deep freezes…..even if I am still sweating 1/6th of my body weight daily!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side