Happy New Year!




2015 Happy New Year!
After a three week holiday break, Term 2 began 6 January as Monday, 5 January is an observed Muslim holiday.  I am ready to resume my little village routine as I did put some miles on my feet over the break. 
Mid December, my PC friend, Michelle and I traveled as tourists to Arrow Point Resort. 


  

 I would certainly recommend this site to anyone who visits Guyana.  It is located just a short way from Georgetown.  We took a bus about 45 minutes to a spot along the Demerera River where we boarded a speed boat for the rest of the journey.  Captain Eddie is an Amerindian and did a great job explaining the area and the critters.  He not only provided our boat rides for two days as well as guided our hikes.  Along the way to Arrow Point, we stopped at the Amerindian Village of Santa Mission.  Peace Corps Volunteer, Kelly R. was waiting to show us around her site.  It was fun to see HER as well as her living area.  She truly has the textbook Peace Corps situation, living in Amerindian Village and with no electricity. 

 Captain Eddie and Kelly gave us the grand tour which included the Arts and Crafts Center where handicraft works can be purchased.  We re-boarded the speedboat and arrived at Arrow Point in another 15 minutes, greeted by Mona Lisa.  She was born in St. Lucia and has family in the Georgetown area she doesn’t see often due to the demands of her position.  She meets and greets; cooks, serves and cleans guesthouses.  The third employee, Captain Teddie lives on the property nearby.  We enjoyed wonderful meals, provided exclusively for us and we two were their only guests!  We had a night hike, and boat trip where we found caiman. We arose early for another hike and canoe trip for bird watching where we saw the large Crimson Topaz hummingbird.  We were treated the last night with a beach dinner with bonfire.  One last hike the morning of our departure day led us to a plane crash area.  The owner of the property lived through this crash over 20 years ago.  We left the solitude of this great area and headed back to our sites in preparation of Christmas.
I had been told that Christmas in the village would be quiet and it was.  Santa Clause only makes a presence before Christmas at parties and photo opportunities.  I spent the afternoon with my friend, Aeileen who was born in the village and recently had her 70th birthday.  Unexpectedly, it was only the two of us.  A new granddaughter was to be born on Christmas Day which meant other family members were at the hospital!  It is customary for Guyanese to keep newborns “hidden” from the community for the first 9 days.  Little Shamira has big brother, Shamar only 13 months older.  He is a proud boy and loves is little sister. 



The Saturday after Christmas my Peace Corps friend, Tanoa and I flew to the number one draw to Guyana, Kaieteur Falls.  I have been looking forward to seeing the falls and had planned from my arrival in Guyana THAT would be my Christmas gift to myself!  It was a one day trip and one that I will always remember.  We met some amazing people on the little 13 seat plane and the falls were full and beautiful.  We were lucky and very happy to see a group of hiking Peace Corps volunteers at one of the viewpoints!  They had started the 23rd of December on the multiday trek to the falls and would fly out the next day after staying at the guesthouse overnight. 






Tanoa and Michelle visited me for two days before we headed to Suriname for the celebration of the New Year!  My first guests!  I was excited as this little village is not along the way to anything. There were 24 PC Vols in a big bus hired to originate just after midnight in Georgetown, stopping along the way east to pick us all up.  After crossing the Corentyne River by ferry, we motored for many hours across the coast side of Suriname, reaching Paramaribo about 7PM Tuesday, 30 December.  


  The next morning we made our way to downtown Paramaribo to seek out a breakfast at McDonald’s.  Hey, what can I say….it’s been many months since we saw the golden arches!  The shops would be open until noon and then the celebration would begin.  Old Year’s Day is celebrated big time in Paramaribo. 




  If you can, look it up on YouTube and see the amazing firecracker display and, seemingly competition!  I have never seen anything like it.  Luckily, McDonald’s handed out earplugs and I did use them.  Fire trucks were out and visible just in case some of the firecracker “snakes” got out of hand.  We sampled food prepared on the street (Jamaican Pork for me), wandered near the water side and took in the sites.  What an amazingly clean city this was aside from the red paper left behind from the firecrackers.  There were folks out to clean the streets even before sunset!  The night quieted down for a while and we had trouble finding a place open for dinner….then, there was Subway! 


 Midnight found many of us on the roof of the Princess Hotel to see fireworks in panorama.  The guesthouse where many of us stayed would have a party from 1AM until 5AM and I would stay a short 30 minutes only.  New Year’s Day got off late, of course.  We had a lovely dolphin cruise and got in just before the rain hit.  We did see quite a few dolphins and the weather prior to the rain was lovely.  Later in the evening we would take in sushi at the Japanese restaurant at the Princess Hotel.  Ambiance was wonderful, food delicious and moderately priced.  It was Michelle’s birthday so I was pleased that the American tradition of free dessert could be ordered. She was quite surprised by the presentation and the chorus of Happy Birthday from nearly everyone in the place!
Our bus left with us at midnight in order to catch the ferry.  Our driver was concerned that after being closed 2 days, the ferry would be taxed by many attempting to cross and wanted to ensure we made it.  We arrived about an hour before it opened and I was back in my village by 2PM…DEAD TIRED. 
Now, the laundry is caught up and I am recharged for the school term.  Let’s see what we can accomplish in 12 weeks.  January will be flying by as I do have a training session in Georgetown 20-23 but I will get some momentum going in the village before that happens. 
Once again, I want folks to know that snail mail does take a lot of time, but certainly appreciated!  My address is #107 SandvoortVillage, Berbice, Guyana, SouthAmerica.  I send hugs and love to you all and wish you many blessings in the New Year.

All the best from me and the New Amsterdam 6AM Sunday Zumba group!
 


Patty

Comments

  1. What a fun adventure for your holiday! McDonalds and Subway in a foreign country (LOL).
    Glad you are loving your time and your experiences!!!
    Love you...Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are well. These pictures are great. This looks like a fun adventure....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side

August Contrasts