Integrating

10 August 2014
Last weekend the village held a Cultural event that I thoroughly

enjoyed.  Dancing, drumming, African food and dress.  Big contrast

this weekend.

I took a day trip to Georgetown today to meet up with some other PCV

and go to PCHQ to complete a survey; pick up mail and 3 bottles of

bug repellent.  It was a crowded car trip over and back with 5 in the

back seat of a standard sedan.  I must say that drivers in this

country are quite skilled.  No more comments about that..... I

arrived back in my quiet little village to an 8 foot wall of speakers

that spread across the street.  IN FRONT OF MY NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE. 

sigh....  Normally, I enjoy going to bed before 10 on Saturday night

so that I can be ready for a 5:30AM bike ride to a 6AM Zumba session.

 Dream on ....not this night! 

During the week a local elder died and a wake was held.  What comes

with a wake?  LOTS of food.  I helped prepare pholourie (they look

like donut holes), cookup (rice and beans in fresh coconut), fried

rice and chow mein.  ALL of these were in huge pots called canneries

over an open wood fire in the back yard.  the Pholourie took 2 hours

alone.  I feel I am Guyanese now!  Topping the menu was the 5 star

fruit punch.  The fruit is mashed and mixed with sugar and water to

sit 1-2 days. It is then put through a sieve and completed with MORE

sugar and water.  For good measure something like Kool Aid is added. 

(PLEASE....no more bad jokes about Kool Aid in Guyana!) I was a hot,

smoky mess after 5 hours of cooking outside!  I do not know how these

women cater events day after day!

The women are the backbone of the country, for sure.  They get up at

4:30 to cook for their families; keep the house clean; do laundry

(many by hand); shop at the market and grocery and many work.  Cars

are a premium and many in the village and surrounding areas ride

bikes...in a long skirt.  I saw a woman ride her bike while holding a

toddler and an umbrella.  I know I could NOT do this. 

Of course, hard work is done by both genders.  I stopped and watched

the cane being cut by hand with cutlasses. I got permission to take

pictures and the man with the cutlass said, "you see hard work

takes place in Guyana!"  Indeed.

Other than two tutoring sessions and the usual Zumba sessions on

Sunday morning and Thursday at 1Pm, not much else on the calendar. 

should be about the same this next week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side