GETTING "TRU" (through)

Yep, this time next week 94% of the Guy 26 crew will be the newest Peace Corps volunteers! We will keep the two crew members who terminated early in our hearts as we move through service over the next two years.  We have become quite a family.  As excited as I am to begin my purpose here in Guyana, I know I will miss seeing my "family" I have seen nearly every day!  It has been a test of the emotions and no one can emphasize the key ingredient to "getting tru" (as it is said in Guyana) enough.....resilience.  I know I will be faced with more obstacles, more apathy, more delays, more stares, more ....whatever.  All along, I will move forward with purpose to leave a positive impact, how small or large is yet to be determined.

Today I will prepare a favorite meal for many in the states.  I must be a bit creative preparing lasagne today as I have cheese limitations, but it will be lasagne Guyanese style!  I have appreciated my host mom and dad making sure I am fed and I have learned from them.  That has been a priceless lesson I can rely on every time I plan my meals!

I look forward to having a place of my own, but I must say I will miss Mom at 6 AM saying, "Rise to the occasion!" Meant to get her youngest out of bed, but I rose nevertheless!  I will remember introducing the girls to Zumba and giggling as they/we drew a crowd at the door.  I will certainly miss my morning walks with Auntie...getting to know her kind soul has been a pleasure.  I will stay in touch with the family and drop in occasionally.
Auntie feeds the newest member of the family.
The Harris family and I at church.


Our Guy 26 group hosted a Family Appreciation Night and served a taco bar to guests.  It was a curious item for many, but the general reaction was positive.  Sour cream, guacamole and crispy taco shells are not seen everywhere in the country!  Flat tortillas are similar to the roti served locally and provided the lead in.
 Staff members Julie and David present Molessa with a certificate.  Trainee, Tanoa is assisting.

The world map got finishing touches just in time.  It was a close call!  We are proud to be able to present it to Timehri Primary....it will be delivered next week after we have moved to Georgetown in preparation of our final training week.  I only regret I/we could not be present to see the look on the faces as they set eyes on the completed project.


Naomi patiently drawing out the world.


Looks promising!

The map is ready for delivery!

Three more days of training...."Bridge to Service" and then,
CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Side vs. Dark Side